Praia de Armação de Pêra – the #1 guide
Praia de Armação de Pêra is the main beach of the seaside resort of Armação de Pêra, near Silves. The resort town is located in a broad bay, that stretches from Senhora da Rocha all the way to Praia da Galé. Praia de Armação de Pêra is a popular tourist destination for Portuguese and international tourists.
Watch it in HD
Do you wonder how the beach of Armação de Pêra looks like? Then watch the short video below.
Praia de Armação de Pêra is quite a big beach. It has a width of about 50 metres and a length of more than a kilometre. Basically it is one long sandy beach, backed by many high-rise hotels and apartments.
The sand on the beach is fine and nice to walk on. The water is transparent and calm. Great for swimming.
The beach of Armação de Pêra can get quite crowded, especially during summer. However, due to the size of the beach, there is always plenty of space for everyone.
To the west of Praia de Armação de Pêra you can find the beach of Praia de Vale do Olival. At this side you can also find limestone cliffs. To the east of of Praia de Armação de Pêra you can find Praia Grande, which is a huge stretch of sand. There is a small river called Ribeira de Alcantarilha, which is the natural border between Praia de Armação de Pêra and Praia Grande. The beach of Praia Grande is more quiet than the beach of Armação de Pêra. The beach is also bigger and wider. If you want more privacy, just walk to the east.
Behind the beach there is a boulevard, where you can find many bars and restaurants. This makes the village very lively, especially in the summer. The promenade stretches for more than a kilometre.
There are several water sports available on the beach, including jet skiing, the banana boat and stand-up paddle boarding (SUP). There is also a flyboard experience, which allows you to fly over the water. You can actually book some of these water sports already online. This guarantees you of a spot and saves you time on-site.
On the eastern side of Praia de Armação de Pêra, you can find colourful fishing boats on the beach. Here you can also see fishermen repairing their nets and looking after their boats. Behind the beach you can see fishermen huts, where they store their stuff. This section of the beach is sometimes referred to as Praia dos Pescadores (fishermen beach) by locals.
The beach is still used by fishermen. Fishing boats are actually launched from the beach, as well as pulled up directly on the beach. There is no harbour. If you arrive early morning, you might even see the catch of the day arrive on land. During the day, some fishermen use their boats to take tourists on a boat trip. On a boat trip from Armação de Pêra you can see the coastline of the Algarve and visit the Benagil cave.
The name of Armação de Pêra actually derives from the fact that back in the days, this is the place where fishermen from the village of Pêra would go to set up their ‘armação’ (structure for tuna fishing).
If you like a beach walk, you can walk to the east all the way to Praia da Galé in Albufeira. Here, the beach seems to go on forever. This is a beach walk of about 4 kilometres. You will first pass Praia Grande and then Praia dos Salgados. Near the latter beach there are lagoons where you can see migratory birds. After Praia dos Salgados you arrive at Praia da Galé. At the eastern section of the beach, there are many rocks and you can even see fossils in the rocks. If you like long beach walks, this is one of the best beach walks in the area.
Armação de Pêra
Armação de Pêra used to be a small fishing village. It has now become one of the most popular seaside resorts in the Algarve. The village has around 5000 permanent inhabitants. During the peak of the summer, the village grows to about 80.000 people. Some of the restaurants turn into bars at night, so the village has some nightlife. Armação de Pêra is located about 15 kilometres west of Albufeira.
Near the promenade behind the beach you can also find the remains of a 17th century fort. It is called Fortaleza de Armação de Pêra. The fort was built to protect the town from pirates back in the days. WIthin the walls of the fort you can find a small chapel (dating from 1720), known as Capela de Santo António. The beach in front of the fort is sometimes called Praia da Fortaleza.
Make sure to visit the nearby promontory of Nossa Senhora da Rocha as well. You can find a small chapel on top of a cliff that protrudes into the sea. From here there is actually a beautiful walk along the cliffs, all the way to Praia da Marinha.
How to get there
The easiest way to move around in the Algarve is by car. If you don’t have one, make sure to rent a car. Praia de Armação de Pêra is easy to reach by car. When driving on the A22 highway, just take exit 8 towards Pêra. Follow the EM524 towards Armação de Pêra. When you arrive in the village, the beach is clearly signposted. Just follow the signs indicating Praia. There are various access point to get to the beach. Together with the various access points, there are several places to park your car. Parking is free. However, parking near the beach might be difficult during high season. You may have to park a bit further, and then walk to the beach.
There are some really good restaurants in the area of Armação de Pêra. Below you can find our favourite ones.
- Casa de Pasto Ze Leiteiro. If you love grilled fish, go here. This restaurant serves all you can eat grilled fish for a fixed price. Sea bass, halibut, salmon, mackerel, sardines, squid and much more. You also get potatoes, salad and bread. They keep on bringing more fish, until you tell them that you have had enough food. Highly recommended.
- Raj Indian Restaurant. If you like authentic Indian cuisine, this restaurant won’t disappoint you. They make the food as spicy as you like. This restaurant is located in the Holiday Inn hotel and has a fabulous view over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Casa Gino Pizzeria. This Italian restaurant serves great pizza and pasta. It is one of the best pizzerias in the area. The owner is very friendly and the staff makes you feel welcome. Great value for money as well.
There are several good hotels near Armação de Pêra. Below you can find our favourite ones.
- Vilalara Thalassa Resort. This luxurious five star resort has several indoor and outdoor swimming pools, as well as two restaurants. There are several wellness facilities on-site, including thalassotherapy treatments and hot stone massages. You can also rent a bike from the hotel, which is a fabulous way to discover the area.
- Holiday Inn Algarve. This four star hotel is located directly on the beach of Armação de Pêra. Some of the rooms also have a great view over the Atlantic Ocean. There is a swimming pool outside and there are some wellness facilities available on-site. The hotel has two restaurants and two bars, from which you have a great view over the beach.
- Hostel Supremo. This hostel offers private rooms, as well as beds in a shared dormitory. The hostel is clean and the staff is friendly. Prices are quite cheap and you get a lot of value for money. Great breakfast as well.
After the busy summer season of last year, we recommend to book your hotel now, as it will probably sell out. Below you can find a map with the location of hotels in Armação de Pêra. By changing the date of your holiday, the map will show you the current prices.
While Armação de Pêra is a great holiday destination, there is much more to see in the area. What about seeing the Benagil cave? This is the most famous cave of the Algarve. Or you could visit Zoomarine, which is a family park with dolphins and other animals. Some of these excursions you can already book online. Below you can find our favourite excursions in the area.
Armação de Pêra basically has all the facilities you could ask for during your holiday. There are sunbeds for hire and lifeguards are overlooking the beach. The beach has access for disabled people as well. During the day, there are several water sports to enjoy. And there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, to keep you entertained after the sunset.
Facilities in Praia de Armação de Pêra:
- Restaurant: yes
- Bar/club: yes
- Toilet: yes
- Shower: yes
- Water sports: yes
- Sunbeds: yes
- Parking: yes
- Lifeguards: yes
- Blue flag beach: yes