Praia de Vilamoura: the #1 guide
Praia de Vilamoura is the main beach of the luxury resort town of Vilamoura. Buzzing and lively, this beach will make you feel alive. It is popular among hotel guests, families and golfers. Moreover, the beach has all the facilities you could ask for. Are you ready for an exclusive holiday in style? Discover why Praia de Vilamoura is worth visiting.
Watch it in HD
Would you like to see a quick preview of this beach? Then watch the video below.
Vilamoura is a luxury resort town. It is one of the largest tourist developements in Portugal and has excellent hotels and several golf courses. The centre of Vilamoura is its famous marina. This is the biggest marina in Portugal, with a capacity of more than 1000 vessels. There are many activities to enjoy in Vilamoura. For example, there are many bars and restaurants and there is even a casino. If you like culture, you can visit the Roman ruins of Cerro da Vila, which are a short walking distance from the marina. And of course there is the beach of Vilamoura.
The beach of Vilamoura is called Praia de Vilamoura, but is also known as Praia da Marina. It is the main beach of Vilamoura and stretches for about 1 kilometre, all the way to Quarteira. It is located in front of the town, just behind the marina.
The sand on Praia de Vilamoura is golden and the water of the Atlantic Ocean here is crystal clear and good for swimming. The sea here is relatively calm, mainly due to the rock structures extending into the water on both sides of the beach. There are also several water sports available, such as kayaks and paddle boats.
There are no other beaches directly connected to Praia da Vilamoura. On the western side, the beach stops at the entrance of the marina. On the other side of the water you can see Praia da Rocha Baixinha. This is the first beach west of Praia de Vilamoura and belongs to the municipality of Albufeira. After Praia da Rocha Baixinha, you will find the massive beach of Praia da Falésia.
If you walk east from Praia de Vilamoura, you will end up in Quarteira. If you walk past the market and harbour of Quarteira, you will see Praia de Quarteira, which is the first beach east of Praia de Vilamoura.
Praia de Vilamoura is popular among families and the guests of the hotels near the beach. Thus it can be a crowded and lively beach, especially in summer. However, in low season there are few people on the beach. During summer, the most crowded area of the beach is the western part, near the marina. The more you walk away from the marina, the less crowded the beach will become.
In the background of the beach you can see many (luxury) hotels. On the western side you can see the famous Tivoli marina Vilamoura hotel.
And in the eastern direction you can see the Crowne Plaza hotel.
Purobeach beach bar
If you like to relax on the beach, we have some good news for you. On Praia de Vilamoura you can find the beach bar Purobeach. It is open from April to September. The beach bar is all about relaxation & comfort, since there are Balinese beds, sunbeds, sofas and lounge chairs. Of course there is wi-fi as well. During summer, there is lounge music during the day. The vibe continues after sunset, because there are regular parties in summer. In fact, there are two locations of Purobeach near Praia de Vilamoura: the beach area and the pool area.
The Purobeach beach area has direct sea view and is also a restaurant during the day.
The Purobeach pool area is located in the gardens of Tivoli marina, just behind the beach. The place offers an upscale lounge experience with exotic decoration.
How to get there
The easiest way to move around in the Algarve is by car. If you don’t have one, make sure to rent a car. Vilamoura is quite easy to reach by car. When driving on the EN125, take the exit towards the N396 and follow the signs towards Vilamoura. You can park for free behind the McDonalds, which is just 5 minutes of walking from the beach. If you would like to park closer to the beach, it is paid and much more difficult to find a good spot. During summer it can be difficult to park even behind the McDonalds. If it is full there, you have to find a parking spot a bit further. In any case, it is a good idea to arrive early to claim your parking spot. When you are in Vilamoura, the beach is only a couple of minutes walking from the marina.
There are several beach restaurants right on Praia de Vilamoura:
- Maresia beach bar. This is a cocktail lounge bar that also serves food. Great sea view and nice staff. If you want delicious cocktails, go here.
- Casa da Praia. This restaurant specializes in fresh fish and Portuguese food. It is a great place to have lunch on the beach of Vilamoura.
- Purobeach. Besides having a lounge pool area, Purobeach also has a beach area. Here they serve a variety of food in an upscale setting. It is quite pricy, but the atmosphere makes up for it.
- Búzios beach club. This restaurant focuses on Portuguese specialties, including grilled fish and seafood. Also, there are vegetarian options. There is both inside and outside seating.
Since Praia de Vilamoura is just behind the marina, there are plenty of other restaurant options nearby.
If you are looking for the cheapest hotel, you should probably go to another town in the Algarve. Vilamoura is a luxury resort, with excellent high-end hotels. If you would like to stay near Praia de Vilamoura, we recommend any of the following hotels:
- Tivoli Marina Vilamoura. This 5 star hotel has arguably the best location in Vilamoura. Situated right between the marina and the beach. It has a huge outside garden, with a big outdoor pool. Rooms are spacious and have either marina view or sea view. Highly rated as well.
- Crowne Plaza. This 5 star luxury hotel is only for people who want nothing but the best. The hotel is beautifully decorated. It also has a swimming pool, an outside terrace, a kids club and wellness facilities. Moreover, it has a marvelous restaurant inside. Only a 3 minute walk from the beach.
- Vila Galé Ampalius. This 4 star hotel will not disappoint you. It has many facilities, including a swimming pool, a tennis court and several wellness facilities. It is cheaper than the five star hotels, but still offers very good value for money.
After the busy summer season of last year, we recommend to book your hotel now, as it will probably sell out. Below you can find a map with the location of hotels in Vilamoura. By changing the date of your holiday, the map will show you the current prices.
Vilamoura is a great resort area. There is a lot to discover and see in the area. Also, you can enjoy some excursions nearby to see another side of Vilamoura. For example, what about a sunset sailing tour? Or you could go dolphin watching. Moreover, there is a lot more to see in this part of the Algarve, such as the Benagil cave. Below you can find our favourite excursions near Vilamoura.
Praia de Vilamoura has all the facilities you could ask for in a beach. Because it is located close to the centre of Vilamoura, anything you need is nearby. Access to the beach was renovated in 2007, so it is easily accessible by wheelchair as well.
Facilities in Praia de Vilamoura:
- Restaurant: yes
- Bar/club: yes
- Toilet: yes
- Shower: yes
- Water sports: yes
- Sunbeds: yes
- Parking: yes, but difficult nearby
- Lifeguards: yes
- Blue flag beach: yes