Praia de Quarteira: the #1 guide
Praia de Quarteira is the main beach of Quarteira. Many years ago, Quarteira was a small fishing village. However, it has now turned into a major tourist resort town. It is particularly popular among Portuguese tourists, but the beach is here for everyone of course. Discover why Praia de Quarteira is worth visiting.
Watch it in HD
If you wish to see the beauty of Praia de Quarteira, then watch the following video.
Praia de Quarteira is quite a long beach: it stretches for almost 2 kilometres in length. The beach is backed by high-rise apartments. Between the apartments and the beach there is a beautiful promenade.
The sand on Praia de Quarteira is soft and golden. The sea water is clean and transparent, which is great for swimming. The stone breakwaters also provide protection from the waves, so the sea usually is quite calm. However, beware that the sea gets deeper quite suddenly. Even though there are lifeguards, it is good to keep an eye on young children near the sea.
Quarteira is a popular holiday destination among Portuguese people. Thus the beach of Quarteira can be quite crowded, especially in summer. However, due to the size of the beach, it is always possible to find a spot. Even though it is an urban beach, the beach itself is very clean and well maintained. The beach is especially popular among locals and Portuguese families with children.
In the east, Praia de Quarteira is bordered by Praia do Forte Novo. Looking east, the beach stretches as far as the eye can see. The strip of sand here continues all the way towards Praia de Faro. If you like taking long beach walks, the beach of Quarteira is perfect.
In the west, there is no beach directly connected to Praia da Quarteira. Instead, the beach ends at the fish and vegetable market. You can find the harbour of Quarteira here as well, which is characterized by a stone breakwater pier. If you continue to walk west, you can find Praia da Vilamoura just behind the harbour. All in all, Praia de Vilamoura is just a short walk away from Praia de Quarteira.
Praia de Quarteira is actually divided into 6 different sections, each about 250-300 metres in length and separated by stone breakwaters. In fact, the various parts of Praia de Quarteira have separate names:
- Praia da Rosa Branca
- Praia Azul
- Dom José beach
- Praia do Vidal
- Praia JV
- Praia da Gaivota
Even though they have separate names, it is basically one huge beach. The strip of sand is the same.
Just behind Praia de Quarteira is a wonderful boardwalk lined with palm trees. The promenade runs across the whole beach and is perfect for walking and biking. This street is called Avenida Infante de Sagres.
Around the boardwalk you can find many restaurants and bars. The area around the boardwalk is also pretty lively at night. For example, during summer there is live music in the evening. However, if you really would like to party, you are probably better off in nearby Vilamoura or Albufeira.
There are also other facilities near the boardwalk. For example, there is a playground area for kids and there is an outdoor gym to work out. Walking the boardwalk or using the outdoor gym is a nice way to exercise during your holiday.
Near the beach you can also find a sculpture called The Fisherman, made by artist Jits Bakker.
How to get there
The easiest way to move around in the Algarve is by car. If you don’t have one, make sure to rent a car. Quarteira is quite easy to reach by car. When driving on the EN125, just follow the signs towards Quarteira. And when in Quarteira, follow the signs to the beach. You can park your car on the big street just behind the beach. Parking is free here. Another option is to park near the harbour of Quarteira. From here you can reach Praia de Quarteira by walking.
There are many restaurants near the beach. Most of them are located at the boardwalk. The proximity of so many restaurants makes Praia de Quarteira a great beach. Our favourite restaurants near the beach are:
- Tandoori Flames. This Indian restaurant has tasty food for a good price. The flavours of the food are amazing and if you like spicy food, you won’t be disappointed. Without a doubt, this is the best Indian restaurant nearby.
- A Gaivota Beach bar. If you prefer Portuguese food for lunch, go here. This restaurant specializes in delicious fresh fish and seafood. Located at the end of the boardwalk.
- Best Waffles & Bistro. If you are looking for something quick and cheap, go here. This place offers a variety of waffles, which they do very well. Moreover, the restaurant is highly rated.
There are several good hotels in Quarteira. Our favourite hotels near the beach are as follows:
- Hotel Quarteirasol. This upscale four star hotels has nice rooms and also offers plenty of facilities. For example, there is a gym and a poolside bar. Of course there is a terrace garden and outdoor swimming pool as well. Some rooms have sea view.
- Dom Jose Beach Hotel. This three star hotel is located directly on the boulevard and was in fact one of the first hotels in Quarteira. It has an outdoor swimming pool and all the necessities you would expect from a three star hotel. Some rooms have sea view as well.
- Hotel Atismar. This three star hotel is slightly cheaper than the other two, but still provides very good value for money. It is located just behind the boulevard, but the rooms do not have sea view. There is a nice restaurant on-site serving international cuisine. Good option if you don’t want to pay extra to have sea view.
Since Covid-19 travel restrictions have been lifted, we recommend to book your hotel now, as it will probably sell out soon. Below you can find a map with the location of hotels in Quarteira. By changing the date of your holiday, the map will show you the current prices.
There is plenty to see in the area of Quarteira. For example, visiting Vilamoura is highly recommended. But some things can only be seen by going on an excursion. What about seeing the Benagil cave or going on a sunset sailing tour? Below you can find our favourite excursions in the area.
Praia de Quarteira is a Blue Flag beach and there are plenty of facilities on-site. For example, there are many restaurants, bars and shops near the boardwalk. The beach is also accessible by wheelchair. Furthermore, there are massage beds on the beach where you can get a Thai massage. Beware that some areas of the beach are reserved for sunbeds, while on other parts of the beach you are free to put your towel.
Facilities in Praia de Quarteira:
- Restaurant: yes
- Bar/club: yes
- Toilet: yes
- Shower: yes
- Water sports: yes
- Sunbeds: yes
- Parking: yes
- Lifeguards: yes
- Blue Flag beach: yes