Praia de Vale do Lobo – the #1 guide
Praia de Vale do Lobo is a famous beach in the municipality of Loulé. It is the biggest luxury golf and beach resort in the Algarve. This paradise for golfers is synonymous with luxury. No wonder that some celebrities come to Vale do Lobo to spend their holidays here. Do you wonder why? Let’s discover why Praia de Vale do Lobo is worth visiting.
Watch it in HD
If you are curious to see this beach, then check out the video below.
Praia de Vale do Lobo is a long but relatively narrow beach. It stretches for about 1,1 kilometres before you reach the next beach. The beach of Vale do Lobo is bordered in the west by Praia de Loulé Velho and in the east by Praia do Garrão Poente.
Praia de Vale do Lobo is backed by red cliffs, which contrast with the white sand and the green golf courses. Some of the rock formations have strange shapes due to erosion. The water here is transparent and relatively warm. During high tide, the beach becomes considerably more narrow. The beach is very clean and has many high-end facilities nearby. Also, you can enjoy several water sports at Vale do Lobo beach, such as parasailing or the banana boat.
The beach can be crowded in summer, but not overcrowded. There is always a spot for everyone. Outside busy season there are usually only a handful of people on the beach. Vale do Lobo is popular among tourists who like luxury and don’t mind to pay extra for that. The nightlife scene at Vale do Lobo is vibrant, so you will see plenty of young people around. In general, the visitors of Vale do Lobo are a mix of both young and old.
When you enter the beach from the main square (called Praça), you will see a sun lounger zone. The sun lounger area near the entrance of the beach can be quite busy during summer. It is not permitted to sit here with your own umbrella; you have to walk for a couple of minutes. If you walk in either direction from the entrance, it will be more peaceful and calm. If you walk towards the east, you will see a massage station as well.
Praia de Vale do Lobo is part of an enormous strip of sand that stretches all the way from Praia de Faro in the east to Praia de Quarteira in the west. This makes the beach perfect for long beach walks. If you wanted to, you could walk it all, but it would take you many hours. If you walk east towards Praia do Garrão Poente you will see that the red cliffs gradually vanish.
Vale do Lobo
The resort village of Vale do Lobo was established in the second half of the 20th century. It is part of the so-called Golden Triangle, together with Almancil, Vilamoura and Quinta do Lago. This affluant area has many luxury hotels and high-end facilities.
Vale do Lobo is great because it is close to the beach, while having excellent infrastructure and offering many high-end facilities. In summer there are often art and music events as well. Without a doubt this is one of the best beach and golf resorts in the Algarve. The British magazine Today’s Golfer even awarded Vale do Lobo the ‘best resort in Portugal‘ prize in 2013. Next to golf, Vale do Lobo also has some of the best tennis facilities in the Algarve, with 14 tennis courts. Some tourists are so impressed with the resort that they decide to buy a house in Vale do Lobo. There are many luxury villas and apartments for rent and sale here. However, property prices in Vale do Lobo are not for the faint hearted.
The Praça is the main square of Vale do Lobo. From here it is about 150 metres to the beach. The main road in Vale do Lobo takes you straight to the Praça. Around the square there are 10 restaurants and bars, offering a mix of traditional cuisine and international dishes. The beach bars are great for having a cocktail and there is even a nightclub called Gecko Club.
Vale do Lobo is one of the best places for golf in the Algarve. It attracts many golf players from all around the world. In Vale do Lobo you can find two 18-hole championship golf courses:
- Ocean Golf Course. This golf course designed by Sir Henry Cotton in 1968 established Vale do Lobo as an international top golf destination. From this course you have a great view over the Atlantic Ocean, hence the name.
- Royal Golf Course. This golf course designed by Rocky Roquemore in 1997 was inspired by the Ocean Golf Course and is surrounded by pine trees. Especially the 16th hole is very tricky, since you will have to drive across a ravine.
How to get there
The easiest way to move around in the Algarve is by car. If you don’t have one, make sure to rent a car. To get to Praia de Vale do Lobo, take the exit Almancil Centro from the EN125 and follow the signs. The beach is at the end of the main road in Vale do Lobo. There is limited parking near the beach and parking is paid. If you are willing to walk 10-15 minutes, you can park your car at the beginning of the main road in Vale do Lobo, where parking is free.
Near the beach you can find plenty of restaurants. On the Praça square alone there are 10 restaurants and bars. Beware that restaurants in Vale do Lobo are more expensive than in other towns in the Algarve. The quality of life and food in Vale do Lobo is excellent, but it comes with a price tag. Below you can find our favourite restaurants near Praia de Vale do Lobo:
- Sandbanks. This restaurant offers fresh fish and seafood with a fabulous seaside view. If your favourite fish is not on the menu, you can even contact the restaurant beforehand and they will make sure that it will be there once you arrive. Fantastic service.
- Amore. This restaurant serves Italian food, such as pasta and pizza. The food is good and their location on the Praça square is perfect. Service is good as well.
- Montys. This restaurant offers an international menu with high quality ingredients. It is a great place to have dinner. There is live music and afterwards a DJ will make sure that you will hit the dancefloor.
If you decide to stay in Vale do Lobo, you will have excellent facilities, but they come with a price. Hotels, apartments and villas are more expensive than in many other towns in the Algarve. Below you can find our favourite hotels in Vale do Lobo.
- Dona Filipa Hotel. This five star resort offers spacious rooms with a balcony with view over the Atlantic Ocean, the village or the golf course. There are wellness and sports facilities on-site as well, including a spa, several tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool. Located only 200 metres from Vale do Lobo beach.
- Dunas Douradas Beach Club. This five star resort has three outdoor swimming pools, a sauna and a hot tub. They offer world-class service. This resort is only for people who want nothing but the best. Highly rated.
- Vale Do Lobo Resort. This luxurious resort is very big and offers many facilities. There is a nice swimming pool and you can choose to eat at one of 15 restaurants within the resort. Good service as well.
Since Covid-19 travel restrictions have been lifted, we recommend to book your hotel now, as it will probably sell out soon. Below you can find a map with the location of hotels near Vale do Lobo. By changing the date of your holiday, the map will show you the current prices.
There is a lot to discover in central Algarve. An excursion is the best way to really get to know the area, because a guide can tell you more about the background and history of the place. Some of these excursions can be booked online. Below you can find our favourite excursions in the area.
Praia de Vale do Lobo has excellent facilities. Being a classy destination, it offers nothing but the best. It has everything you could ask for in a beach within walking distance. No wonder that this is a Blue Flag beach.
Facilities in Praia de Vale do Lobo:
- Restaurant: yes
- Bar/club: yes
- Toilet: yes
- Shower: yes
- Water sports: yes
- Sunbeds: yes
- Parking: yes
- Lifeguards: yes
- Blue Flag beach: yes