History of Alcoutim
A brief history of Alcoutim
The history of Alcoutim was always strictly related to the Guadiana river on one hand, and to the defense of the border on the other. The region of Alcoutim was inhabited in pre-historic times, especially in the Neolithic period. This is evidenced by several archaeological finds (dolmens and menhirs) in the region.
During the Roman period, the village was called Alcoutim. It was situated near the Roman road from the Algarve to Mértola. In 415, the region was occupied by the Alans. A century later it was occupied by the Visigoths. In the 8th century followed another occupation by the Moors. They built a fortress, which is now in ruins and is called ‘castelo velho’ (old castle). In the region there were many Moorish villages and dwelling places. This is attested in the various names of Arabian origin, such as: Alcaria, Alcaria Queimada, Alcaria Alta, etc.
The castle of Alcoutim was built at the end of the 13th century after the Christian Reconquest. This was due to the strategic defensive importance of the place, from where it was possible to control both the river and the border (which is formed by the river). The castle and the village were donated to the Military Order of Santiago. Archaeological excavations inside the castle have evidenced that this place was settled in the Roman period and even before, during the Iron Age.
In 1371, a peace treaty was signed (on a boat in the middle of the river) between the Portuguese king Fernando I and the Castillian king Henrique II. This put an end to the war between the two countries. During the war for the Restoration of Independence (1640-1668), Alcoutim did heroically resist and respond the Spanish attacks and artillery fire from the Spanish village Sanlúcar del Guadiana, situated less than 200 metres away, on the other side of the river.
Modern Alcoutim history
The castle of Alcoutim was used for military purposes until 1878, when it was abandoned, getting in a bad condition. Restoration works for the castle are being undertaken. Nowadays, there is a friendly relationship between Alcoutim and Sanlúcar del Guadiana. There is also a regular connection by boat between the sides of the river, connecting the two villages.